School of Nursing
- Nursing School was established in 1943. Dr Patrao had got the recognition. First batch was of 30 students.
Important moments in the past:
- Nursing education has undergone lots of changes. The syllabus was revised from time to time. From 1987 to 2003, the General Nursing & Midwifery programme was of 3 years. From August 2004, the programme duration was increased from 3 years to 3 ½ years including internship of 6 months & addition of subjects as computer in nursing, Nursing Research, Health Economics.
School of nursing conducts 3 ½ years revised General Nursing & Midwifery programme.
- The school is recognized by Maharashtra Nursing Council & Indian Nursing Council.
- The school of nursing conducts various educational programmes.
- The following workshops were conducted on city level.
- Palliative care workshop in the year 2001
- Disaster management workshop in the year 2002
Inservice educational programmes were conducted from time to time;
- Trauma Nursing
- Nursing care of patient with HIV/AIDS
- Nursing care of patient who is critically ill.
- Acute pain management
- At present, 100 students are admitted in a year. Academic year begins on 1st August & ends on 31st July. During this period, students undergo theory classes & practical in the classroom & clinical posting in the ward. Faculty includes one principal, 16 sister tutors, one Public health nurse & additionally 4 staff nurses those who have finished B.Sc. Nursing are in the school on internal adjustment. We have 2 supportive staff, and one driver and cleaner for school bus.
The School has student nurses organization, which gives additional platform for the students to tap their potential.
- The following activities are conducted on regular basis;
- Monthly meetings
- Educational activities eg role play, Quiz competitions, Seminar etc.
- Celebration of National & international days
- Celebration of various festivals as Diwali, Ganpati etc.
- Competitions are held as Rangoli, Poster, Painting, Greeting card making, Personality contest,
- Annual sports
- Cultural programme
- School of nursing is located within main campus of B.Y.L.Nair Hospital at W building(Nurses Quarter), which is opposite main OPD building.
|New Complex||Internal view of hostel|
|Students dining hall||Faculty of School Of Nursing|
|School Library||Students attending the classes|
|Demonstration classes||Demonstration classes|
|Cookery Classes||Students being supervised in clinical|
|Students practicing in computer lab||Anatomy Tutorials|
|Midwifery Practical||Cultural activity|
|Oath taking ceremony||Personality Contest|
Awards / Achievements
- The following students secured first rank at State level in examinations conducted by Maharastra Nursing Council in the subjects mentioned below:
2007 : Ms Sophy Chako in Psychiatric Nursing.
2008 : Ms Vaishali Vasargaonkar in Paediatric nursing
2009 : Ms Ranjita Patil in Obstetric & Gynaecology Nursing.
|Year||Mayor’ award||Nair Award||Nurses Welfare award (Best Student Nurse)|
|2005||Ms Priya Sawant
Ms Deepali Mahadik
|Ms Thorat Aarti
Ms Kadam Nisha
|2006||Ms Seema Khaire
Ms Arti Thorat
|Ms Aruna Dhangar
Ms Neeta Ovhal
|2007||Ms Shradha Gawade||Ms Mirajkar Prachi
Ms Neeta Ovhal
|2008||Ms Vaishali Mhatre
Ms Cylvia D’souza
|Ms Chitra Patil||Ms Sanjeevani Hathmode
Ms Kurhade Deepali
|2009||Ms Jismy Jose
Ms Mali Darshana
|Ms Deepali Kurhade||Ms Maheshvari Uma
Ms Apeksha Raskar
|2010||Ms Thallappilly Simmy||Ms Jagruti Patil||Ms Vrushali Vichare
Ms Darshana Mali